KOKATAT IDOL DRY SUIT REVIEW – INITIAL IMPRESSIONS
Words like innovative, revolutionary, and one-of-a-kind get thrown around so much in today’s industry that it’s hard to believe it when a new piece of gear is listed as ingenious, inventive, or original. Insert the Kokatat Idol drysuit, and you truly have a revolutionary, innovative, and one-of-a-kind drysuit. We’ll outline our initial impressions with the Idol drysuit.
If you live in an area with a cold Spring paddling season but has warm summers (cough cough Colorado), then the Idol is perfect for you.
So much versatility in one piece of gear:
- With varying weather on river trips (ex: Middle Fork), you can dry top it when it’s nice out, but when the rains and cold weather come simply zip on the pants and you’re good to go. Just wear the pants when you are unloading rafts at camp and wading in and out of water constantly. No more dealing with the baggy drysuit excess when you’re hanging in camp or at the takeout!
- The Idol is reinforced in all the high wear areas (shoulders, elbows, knees, butt) with GORE TEX PRO SHELL CORDURA (the best of the best) and feels burly yet light to the touch. You can feel the quality in the material and can tell that this drysuit can take a beating!
Zipper technology has advanced quite a bit in recent years. The SwichZip plastic zipper (by TiZip) is the foundation of the Idol that allows the suit to completely separate at the waist; giving you a dry top and dry suit in one garment!
- The zipper is 100% waterproof, flexible and surprisingly easy to zip on and off.
- The zipper sits comfortably between the backhand and seat of your kayak. The location of the zipper is key to not interfere with your comfort while paddling.
- The hidden zipper on the upper portion of the drysuit allows for more mobility and less restriction of movement. It’s much more comfortable because you don’t have a zipper wedged between your body and PFD.
- No zipper interference with your skirt tunnel.
It’s clear that Kokatat did their homework when creating the Idol. This isn’t some piece of gear that Kokat quickly designed and produced in less than a year. Kokatat came up with the concept for the Idol 5 years ago and has been field testing different prototype suits for the past year and a half. This kind of R&D has allowed Kokatat to create a very high quality product.
The Kokatat Idol is backed by a lifetime warranty on the fabric (for the life of the drysuit). Kokatat also has a full service center in the USA that provides timely, high quality, affordable and hassle free repairs. In fact, they are the ONLY made in the USA PaddleSports dry wear company with a stateside service center. Because of this, they are able to offer over the top customer service experiences to pretty anyone who purchases a Kokatat product.
We’ve got a Kokatat Idol demo suit on the way. We plan on using and abusing this sucker – stay tuned for the review coming soon!